What are your plans for Christmas dinner? A few years ago I decided to make things easy for myself by serving an assortment of lasagnas. I made them the day before and simply popped them in the oven on Christmas day. They were a big hit. But the vegan option – while delicious and well received – was labor intensive. It was also quite different from the meat filled cheesy lasagna I favored in my pre-plant-based life. This Vegan Cheesy Lentil Lasagna recipe comes closer to the mark. With a little planning, it’s also easy to prepare.
If you make a few key ingredients ahead of time, this Vegan Cheesy Lentil Lasagna can be assembled in mere minutes. Here’s what you’ll need:
Vegan Lentil Bolognese Sauce
Basic Raw Cashew Cheese
You could make the Lentil Bolognese Sauce a day or two in advance. The Cashew Cheese and Vegan Parmesan come together more quickly.
I also like to use uncooked lasagna noodles. This shortens prep time, but extends cooking time. I find it easier to spread the ingredients on uncooked noodles. You can go either way with this recipe. If you opt to boil the noodles, simply shorten the baking time and maybe use a little less sauce. You’ll likely end up with a juicier lasagna…
- 10 oz gluten-free lasagna noodles uncooked, I use Tinkyáda brown rice pasta lasagna
- 8 cups Vegan Lentil Bolognese Sauce – see recipe
- 2 cups Basic Raw Cashew Cheese – see recipe
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan – see recipe
- 2 cups baby arugula or baby kale or baby spinach
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup Daiya mozzarella style shreds optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place arugula in a food processor fitted with the S blade and pulse until finely minced.
- Combine minced arugula, oregano and basil with Cashew Cheese and stir to mix well.
- Add about 1 cup of Lentil Bolognese Sauce to a 9×13 baking dish and spread to cover the bottom.
- Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. (Leave a little space around each noodle – they will expand.)
- Spread 1/3 of Cashew Cheese mixture on top of lasagna. (I find it helpful to hold a lasagna noodle in one hand while I spread the cheese on with the other hand – this is the reason why I like to use uncooked noodles.)
- Spread about 1 ½ cups of the Lentil Bolognese Sauce over the cheese covered noodles.
You can find complete recipes of this VEGAN CHEESY LENTIL LASAGNA in veggieprimer.com