My 77th Recipe, “Veg Spring Roll”, a Chinese New Year special. Wishing everyone who are celebrating, a Happy and prosperous New Year.
When I came to know that today is Chinese New Year, as usual I wanted to post a dish which goes with the theme. When I did some research on internet, I came to know some interesting facts which I never knew earlier.
The first day of Chinese New Year usually falls between January 21 and February 20. And looks like it is a tradition to eat certain dishes during the New Year. Especially on the New Year’s eve, Lucky Food is served, which is believed to bring good luck for the coming year. Though there are many Lucky Foods, the one which I am very familiar with and have eaten many times is this Spring Roll.
Veg Spring Roll is one appetizer I love to eat whenever I visit an Asian restaurant for dinner. But until today, I never knew that such a simple dish would have a huge significance. Since the Spring Rolls looks like bar of gold, the lucky saying for eating spring roll on New Year’s Eve is 黄金万两 (hwung-jin wan-lyang/) – ‘A ton of gold’ – a wish for prosperity. Even interesting to know was that the New Year is also known as Spring Festival and since the spring rolls are usually eaten during the Spring Festival in China, hence their name.
- Spring roll sheets – 12
- Sesame oil – 2 tsp
- Garlic – 1 Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- Spring onion – 4 (Finely Chopped with White, Green parts separated)
- Carrot – 1 large (Julienned)
- Green beans – 5 (Cut diagonally)
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 (Julienned)
- Cabbage – 2 Cups (Julienned)
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Soya sauce – 2 tsp
- Ground black pepper – 2 tsp (adjust as per your taste preference)
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Oil – For frying
- All purpose flour – 1 Tbsp
- First follow the instruction given in the packet of the spring roll sheets for thawing the frozen sheets.According to my store bought frozen sheets, I made them to rest in room temperature for about 30 minutes and later covered with a clean damp cloth and left for another 15 mins.
- Chop the veggies and keep them aside. Heat a large pan or wok with sesame oil. Add the ginger, garlic and saute for 30 secs. Then add the white part of the spring onion and saute for 30 secs.
- Now add all the veggies (carrot, cabbage, bell pepper, green beans), sugar and saute for a minute. Follow it by soya sauce, fresh ground black pepper and salt and saute for 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes dry. Once done, add the green part of the spring onion, give a quick mix and turn off the flame.
- Transfer the filling to a baking sheet or large tray. Leave the sheet/tray stand in slanting position and let the filling cool down completely. This will helps in draining out excess liquid from the filling.
You can find complete recipes of this Veg Spring Roll in revisfoodography.com