Smoky marinated cremini mushrooms and peas are tossed with spaghetti in a silky tofu and cashew sauce to create this decadently delicious vegan carbonara.
I waited tables all throughout college. By that time, I’d been a vegetarian for quite a while, but none of the establishments that I served in were meatless. Things could get awkward. I felt weird about telling customers I was vegetarian, but at the same time it wasn’t like I could go and suggest the filet mignon. I got some odd looks from people upon telling them that my favorite dish was a dinner salad with a side of mashed potatoes.
The last place I worked at was Italian. We did not have spaghetti carbonara, but I did have a customer ask for it once, and when I didn’t know what it was, she went into great detail explaining the dish and how freaking amazing it was, but it was all kind of lost on me. Bacon and eggs are two things I was never down with, in my early meat eating days.
For the Mushroom Bacon
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
For the Spaghetti Carbonara
- 1 lb. dried spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4-8 hours and drained
- 1 lb. silken tofu
- 1/2 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes , to taste (optional, but adds a really nice flavor)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- cashew Parmesan (optional)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- kala namak (optional, for eggy flavor)
- Stir soy sauce, maple syrup, cider vinegar and liquid smoke together in a small bowl. Add sliced mushrooms and toss to coat. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally to recoat.
- While the mushrooms marinate, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook spaghetti according to package directions, until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, then drain pasta into a colander. Return to pot and toss with a bit of olive oil.
- Place cashews, silken tofu, milk and nutritional yeast flakes into food processor bowl and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
You can find complete recipes of this VEGAN SPAGHETTI CARBONARA in connoisseurusveg.com