This is our all-time favorite gravy! We’ve made this recipe so many times, devouring it with such intensity you’d think we hadn’t eaten in days 😉 Mashed potatoes and gravy has always been on of my favorite foods but this one is extra special. It’s vegan and uses one of my favorite ingredients: mushrooms! Feel free to change up the herbs however you wish. The original recipe uses all thyme, and I’ve used combinations of thyme, basil, sage, and oregano that are all delicious. For us, the recipe yields enough gravy for about 4 lbs. of potatoes. Hope you enjoy!
Here’s how I make mashed potatoes: peel, dice, and steam the potatoes (gold potatoes are great) for about 10 minutes or until soft. Immediately transfer them to a bowl, add a little vegetable broth, Earth Balance butter, and a touch of salt. Mash, done, delicious!
- 1/2 small onion
- 12 oz. mushrooms
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. flour + 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. butter (I use Earth Balance)
- Finely dice the onion, and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and herbs. Saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook about 4 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes.
You can find complete recipes of this Mushroom Gravy in thegardengrazer.com