This vegan vegetable stew is made with potatoes, corn, carrots, and celery simmered in a slightly spicy, tangy tomato base. A flavor-packed, low-calorie dinner that just happens to be vegan.
Happy Monday, all! We are on week number two of March Meatless Monday Meals and today’s recipe is one that brings back so many busy-college-student memories. Remember last week in my Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheese Sauce post when I mentioned I was vegan for a while in college and survived on vegan hot dogs and oreos?
That’s not 100 percent true. I also had this Mexican Vegan Vegetable Stew.
I must have made this stew at least twice a month, and at the time, it was God sent. It’s the type of recipe that get’s better with age, so I could make a pot on a Sunday and happily eat it all the way through Friday with nary a complaint.
Seriously, by the time Friday rolled around, I would practically be licking the bowl after I finished the last spoonful because I was so sad to see it go.
The garlic, cumin, and chili powder give it an intense (but not insanely spicy) flavor, that deepens and matures the longer it sits and its tomato base is tangy, sharp, and perfectly offset by the mild vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 small red potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1-inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 (15oz) can corn, drained
- 2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and cook until nearly translucent. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until garlic is lightly golden and the spices aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- The pot will be quite hot, so have your broth ready to pour in so your garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add broth, tomato paste, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Stir and bring to a boil. Cook at a low boil for 20 minutes.
- Add corn and tomatoes. Bring stew back up to a boil and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
You can find complete recipes of this Mexican Vegan Vegetable Stew in bakingmischief.com