This was AWESOME. It’s -20 here today so my grill wouldn’t fully heat up so I just kept an eye on it and ended up doing 10 minutes per side! But it worked out great anyway. Thanks so much.
- 1 pound Tilapia
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
Preheat grill to as high as it will go. For me, that is 600+ degrees. If using a griddle instead of a grill basket, then place it on the grill to preheat.
Combine 3 tablespoons paprika, one teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon onion powder, one teaspoon black pepper, one teaspoon dry thyme, one teaspoon dry oregano and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Also, add cayenne pepper 1/4 teaspoon for normal (3/10 heat) 1/2 teaspoon for spicy (7/10) and one teaspoon for manly man 10/10 heat.
Rinse and pat dry 1 pound of tilapia.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a microwave. About 15 seconds.
Brush both sides of tilapia with the melted butter.
Coat both sides of the tilapia with a generous amount of the rub. You don’t need all the rub.
Spray a flexible grill basket with a generous amount of PAM.
Load the tilapia in the grill basket. Alternatively, if using a griddle then add a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil to the preheated griddle. Do not use olive oil since it smokes at high temperatures.
Place the tilapia on preheated grill. The lid may be open or closed. Grill for only 2 minutes. Flip and grill another 2 minutes. Use a watch with a second hand and do not overcook.
Done. Serve immediately.
- Maybe grilled with the hood open or closed.
- I use 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper here. This was a 7/10 hot. I suspect most people will want 1/4 teaspoon which is a 3-4/10 heat level. The original recipe used a full teaspoon which I did once. It was what I call manly man level of 10/10.