This casserole is easy and delicious! I think that next time I make it I will leave out the salsa and taco seasoning and use a can of enchilada sauce. We used corn tortillas as we have people with celiac in our home. Two thumbs up from the whole family!
- 1 lb ground beef (at least 80% lean)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ original taco seasoning mix
- 4 (6-inch) Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for soft tacos and fajitas, cut in 1-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sour cream
In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Add water, salsa, beans and taco seasoning mix. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low.
Stir in tortilla strips; cook 1 minute. Top with cheese; cover, and remove skillet from heat. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Top with green onions. Serve with sour cream.
I made this and share it with a couple of cousins. We all liked it. The flavors go together well, it’s not too spicy–but could be made to be. It’s quick and easy to prepare, and is on the table in less than 30 minutes. A plus! This recipe will be made again, for sure.