Yes, Apple Fritters!
If you’re gluten free you already have the two GF ingredients necessary to make these sweet little fried doughnuts: just rice flour and potato starch (or corn starch).
After realizing how easy it is to make gluten free Apple Fritters that look, taste, and feel just like ordinary ones I’m shocked I don’t see them in stores or at farmer’s markets.
Of course they’re best served warm. I kept them in a bowl on the counter (probably should have covered them but never got to it) and they were still delicious the next day.
- 1¾ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cups milk (whole milk preferred)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups peeled & diced apples (approx 2-3 medium apples)
- peanut or canola oil for frying
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- In large mixing bowl combine first 10 ingredients (that’s rice flour to melted butter). Whisk well to combine. Stir in chopped apples.
- Heat a couple of inches of oil over medium to medium-low heat or use a fry daddy (that’s my preferred method). When you drop a little sample of batter you want it to sizzle and rise to the top. If it doesn’t sizzle and rise the oil is not hot enough, if it burns quickly the oil is too hot.
You can find complete recipes of this APPLE FRITTERS in recreatinghappiness.com